This year is just zipping by for me so far and Father’s Day will be here before we know it. Dads can be so hard to buy for! I’m always at a loss for what to get my dad for Father’s Day, his birthday and Christmas. I started brainstorming an easy homemade Father’s Day craft for kids to give their dad, but something that adults could have fun making too. I wanted something practical that dads can use so I decided on a cute DIY dad Sharpie mug. This can be used as a keepsake Father’s Day mug or he can use it every morning when he has his coffee.
You can use my printable DIY dad mug templates, create your own template, or just free hand your design. I made 2 designs with a “dad” saying and 2 with “daddy” sayings so you can use whichever one is appropriate.
The key to making this homemade Father’s Day mug is to use Oil Based Sharpie Markers or DecoArt Glass Paint Markers Using the DecoArt Glass Paint Markers and then baking the mug creates a permanently painted mug that is dishwasher safe. If you use the Oil Based Sharpie Markers, you will have a permanently painted mug, but it will need to be hand washed. These markers are easy for kids to use to decorate the mug, but you may need to get it primed for them beforehand. You just shake the marker and then press the tip down on a piece of paper a couple of times to release the paint into the tip.
You can also use regular Sharpie markers to make your mug, but it most likely won’t last forever. Baking the mug as described below will help it stay, but it will eventually wash off.
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this cute DIY Dad Sharpie Mug:
- Mug (I picked mine up at Dollar Tree)
- Oil Based Sharpie Markers (for hand wash) or DecoArt Glass Paint Markers (for dishwasher safe)
- Printable Templates (optional)
- Rubbing Alcohol
How to make your DIY Sharpie mug for Dad:
- Print out your template if using one and cut a square around it.
- Clean the surface of the mug with rubbing alcohol. Try not to touch the area where the design will go after cleaning it as the oils from your hands may cause the paint to not stick as well.
- Use a pencil to color the back side of the template making sure to cover all areas of the design.
- Tape the template pencil side against the mug once you’ve centered it where you want it. Be sure to put the design on the side that will be facing outward when dad holds the mug. Think about if he’s left handed or right handed.
- Trace over the design with the pencil and remove the paper.
- Your design should be on the mug in pencil.
- Use the markers to paint over the traced design.
- Let it dry for 24 hours.
- Place the mug on a cookie sheet and put in the oven.
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees after you put the mug in. This allows the mug and oven to heat up at the same time and keeps the mug from cracking.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and leave the mug in the oven until both are completely cooled to avoid a sudden temperature change causing the mug to break.
Click the picture below to get your free printable dad mug templates.
If you want another easy homemade Father’s Day craft for kids, these printable certificates are the perfect addition to this cute DIY dad mug!
Homemade crafts are always the best thoughtful and sentimental gift ideas for Father’s Day or any special occasion. You can be sure Dad will love his Father’s Day gift this year if you give him this heartfelt handmade Sharpie mug.
I hope this easy homemade Father’s Day mug puts a smile on dad’s face this year.
Other DIY projects you might like: